Where am I?

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 1 – Minneapolis to Drake ND

August 6th, 2009

Left home tonight at around 6:45pm. Dropped off the Brazil DVD with Ken before leaving town and talked a little bit about the trip. I stopped into Panera Bread and had a quick bite to eat before swinging over to Target on a whim to pick up a few last minute supplies. Shampoo, vitamins, 18 cliff bars (peanut butter crunch, blueberry crisp and oatmeal raisin.


I finally got on the road around 7:30pm heading West on I-94 towards Jamestown, ND. Obviously the top was down at this point. I ran into a little traffic around Rogers, but it quickly passed. I activated Google Latitude on my phone so my position could be tracked and updated wirelessly to a map on the blog. I'd never used the technology before as I'm a bit paranoid about people knowing where I am 24/7, but for this trip it'd be no big deal.


By Alexandria, Minnesota I was getting pretty chilled. I pulled off and turned into the nearest gas station to fill up, use the bathroom and change into pants.


After driving another hour and watching my progress on the GPS I crossed into North Dakota. Grand Forks has some slow speed limits and crazy drivers. Driving through Grand Forks was overall an uneventful experience.


After driving a bit further I came to the town of Casselton. I pulled over when I saw a lounge on the side of the road. I used their bathroom, responded to a few messages people had sent me and posed the question to a few people... which way; Great Falls, MT or Minot, ND as originally planned. Great Falls was supposedly shorter in time, but longer in distance while entering Canada through Portal, ND saved about 150+ miles of driving.


I decided I had over 90 miles to think about it, so I'd just keep driving.


As I got close to Jamestown, I decided on Great Falls MT because I was making such great time on the freeway since the speed limit through North Dakota was 75mph. However, as I often do, I changed my mind and at the last Jamestown exit, I turned around and headed back towards Minot.


I pulled into a service station in Jamestown and chatted with another couple who were filling up their van. They were from Minnesota too. However, they were on their way to Idaho to visit the husband's parents. I went in to use the bathroom again (I know, I drink a lot of water) and as I was coming back out it started to downpour.


I put up my top and tried to use my windshield wiper spray ... only to find that it didn't work. I fiddled with the lever a bit... no use... I pulled it hard and held it towards me; finally success!. Apparently something was a bit loose or I overfilled the resevour. Probably the latter.


Meandering through Jamestown I noticed the town sure looked like it had a lot of history. I think it might be a good place to head back to someday. Then I hit the 70mph speed limit on a Highway 52 / 281 and I forgot all about Jamestown. The rain was beating down hard at this point and I could see frogs jumping across the road from time to time. I wanted to go 70mph, but I kept my speed to 65mph because I could feel the hydroplane as the rain collected in the tire grooves in the asphalt.


I passed a few semi and a few pickups passed me easily going 80mph. The rain was coming down hard and all the radio stations were classic rock. As I reached the corner where highways 52 and 281 split I noticed all the radio stations went to country music. I must be in Central North Dakota now.


It was around 3am now as I continued on. I eventually decided that I should probably take a break for the night and so I proceeded to look for small towns with a diner. I thought, this is farm country, these diners should open at sunrise so the farmers can have their morning coffee and BS sessions. As I passed these small towns it seemed like it took forever to reach the next. None of which seemed to have a diner. I made a deal with myself that during this entire trip I was going to eat at local restaurants only. I love expericing local neuances to food names and of course the local people and culture. You can almost always get good travel advice from the staff of a local diner... or the patrons that overhear your conversation.


Finally around 4am. I pulled into Drake, ND. I'd given up, my eyes were tired and I wanted to sleep. I drove through the town in the rain. The city sign at the highway said “campgrounds at city park” so I thought I'd check it out. I drove the 6 blocks down to the city park, but I really couldn't clearly make out any tent pads or even parking spots.


I went to turn down to the next block to see if there was a diner in town and I was blocked by a large 20' branch in the middle of the street. I began to wonder if anybody actually lived in Drake by the upkeep of the city park and the city streets.


I turned around and headed down a different street around the back side of the park and toward the main street area. I passed the local catholic church which still had a bell hung outside on a 20' scaffold from which a large rope was hanging. I was impressed. A church that still has a bell that needs to be rung by hand.


Going down the main drag I was there were a few businesses. The bank, the grocery store, the post office, the local diner and the local bar. The only indication of the diner's name was written in pen on an 8.5” x 11” piece of paper taped to the front window. I was still hoping they'd open in the morning for the farmers. This town had an elevator, therefore it should be farming town.


I drove around a few more blocks, passed the bank again and that's when I noticed a house that was decked out in Soo Line railroad switches, lights and other retired gear. Flood lights were on illuminating all of the accumulated railroad memoribilia so I thought it'd be a good, safe place to sleep in my car for the night.


I pulled over, reclined the seat, found a hat to pull over my eyes and after lower the back two windows I drifted off into a restless sleep. I was still wired that I actually left home.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving a review of your journey in brazil. best of luck for your remaining trip and take care.

    fathers day

    ReplyDelete